April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Wednesday 8 May 2013

WIld Garlic & Guinea Fowl Soup....Taste of Spring!


I am trying to think of how I am feeling right now after nearly an entire week of only eating greens from the hedgerows, the back fields, the forest floor and my little garden….

Most of what we have eaten are wild garlic (it’s in season right now) dandelion, nettle and the few little shoots coming up in the garden early in spring. We are getting some kale, sprouting broccoli, lots of fresh herbs such as parsley and lovage as well as some spring onion and a few small leeks.

Overall it is a very green diet! It compliments meat and fish wonderfully though and hardly even needs any other 'tastes' to go along with it. And of course, I am still wondering about all of this eating seasonally…

The starchy vegetables such as carrots, turnip, sweet potatoes and pumpkins are not available this time of year (unless forced to grow in hot houses) and from other places on the planet….so perhaps we might enjoy them later in the year.

Keeping this in mind (eating seasonally) maybe our guts do far better during the spring eating mainly greens as our main type of vegetable and less (or none) of the winter vegetables.

I know I certainly feel lighter in myself.

What is more though, is that I also feel as if I am far more in touch with the earth and her specific energy. What has changed or altered for me a little more is that I simply want to be outside….and it’s as if I am exploring the surroundings for the first time.

Again and again....with each year that passes I am learning or understanding nature more deeply. 

Today I made a Wild Garlic & Guinea Fowl stew….I placed an entire guinea fowl in the slow cooker with some lard from goat meat and water…then added in about 3 cups of chopped wild garlic, sage, salt and pepper.

This was on low for several hours until the meat was falling off the bones and very tender. I removed the meat from the bones and put it all back into the pot. But then added some brown lentils, nettle and a few dandelion leaves….oh and an onion!

This all cooked together for another half an hour…it is so simple – pure flavour and delicious! 

April

Wild Garlic & Guinea Fowl Stew

No comments:

Post a Comment