April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Making A Fermented Probiotic Drink....Kvass

Kvass is something I have been coming across for quite a while now….in the world of fermentation that is. I have made it a few times….with varying results – but realized the one thing I was omitting just this past week….

First of all, kvass is a Russian drink made from either bread, grains, honey and whey which are used as a starter and mixed with several fruits. These ingredients will ferment over a few days and become a wonderful healthy drink.

In the past I have made this using fruit such as apples and berries, honey and water – but not the whey. So, this past week I wanted to try my hand at some of this elixir with whey strained from my own goat's yogurt.

The result?

It was better then delicious……the only way I can even begin to describe it is that I could actually feel it working inside of my gut, not to mention the taste! I could sense the life contained within and I knew I was taking in something very special.

This kvass took me far more deeply into myself during these past few days then I have ever been – it’s as if each probiotic boost with the life it brings, opens up new doorways, guides me and leads me further into myself.

But, I digress.....

To make kvass, it couldn’t be simpler! Chop up some apples, slice any thick fruits such as strawberries or raspberries (even frozen), add a couple slices of ginger, top up with water and ½ to 1 cup of whey (I strained whey from my yogurt making) to a large pitcher or jug.

Make sure the fruit is below the surface of the liquid – so weight it down with a tiny bowl or something to keep it from going moldy at the top etc. Then cover the top tightly with a cap of some sort.

Leave this concoction for about 2 days in the kitchen and then taste it….it will be ever so slightly bubbly like a fizzy drink. And sweet with the taste of your fruit as the goodness and sweetness is pulled into the water.

You can start drinking this at any time once you have to taste you want, then pop it into the fridge. Add more fruit to keep it going or compost the fruit and start again once your jug is empty. This is better then any fizzy soda and there is nothing like it as far as natural probiotics go!!

April

1 comment:

  1. Great article about probiotic! Other probiotic foods would be Yakult.. Which is wonderful, it creates probiotics as well as antitumor and anticancer properties! I find these products not only delicious but also perfect for digestive system & as far as I know it contain a special strain of the bacterium Lactobacillus casei Shirota that contains billions of live and active "good bacteria.

    ReplyDelete