April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Wednesday 3 July 2013

Nature's Magic….Elder Flower Cordial, Champagne & Elder Lemonade!


Herbs are natures’ gift to us – they are the ultimate healer, delightful food and in complete harmony with our body’s needs. They are perfectly balanced and practical, in every way. A herb knows what to do within your body, and your body knows how to use the herb what ever the needs may be….

Of course there are so many to choose from….but really, we only need to be familiar with a few that grow locally around us during the various seasons and we can work with these to our hearts delight for healing and many wonderful seasonal eats.

Right now we are nearing the end of the elder flowers….many of these mythical trees have bloomed already and are well on their way to become the berries I look forward to each year. But, I love the blossoms too and look forward to them like nothing else.

The energy of the elder is quite something – it’s is different from anything else in the forest with a quality unlike other energy forms. An elder tree is a guardian, rooted and standing in place – willing to anchor and connect mortal time to eternity.

With this in mind (yikes!) each summer I pick a few elder blossoms to make our cordial and of course to dry for my herbal teas. In years past, I have tried making cordial without using sugar, replacing it with honey or apple concentrate to varying results.

But this year, with my newly 'healed and sealed' gut (after doing the mother of all cleanses/fasts/detoxes for the last 2 or 3 years) – I decided to try making my cordial with sugar, this time around, using a very traditional recipe…..

Basically, I took about 30 heads of elder flowers (a large bunch) washed them off under gently running water to get any bugs. In the meantime I boiled about 3 liters of well water and grated 4 organic lemons to get the zest, then I sliced them thinly.

Once the water was hot, I poured in about 2kg of sugar and stirred until it was dissolved and allowed this to sit about 10 minutes or so. Then I added the lemon zest and the thinly sliced lemons – it was smelling lovely already!

Last – the magic ingredient, all of those elder flower heads went into the big pot – this was stirred very gently and left loosely covered overnight. These old recipes often have varying lengths of time for leaving this concoction to steep, but I like longer time if possible. So I leave it for at least 24 hours or so.

Then, the liquid is strained off through a muslin cloth and placed into clean bottles….in a couple of weeks I will taste each of my batches….but I do remember from my childhood that we were still drinking elder cordial well up into Easter the following year!

This makes a thickish syrup which is great diluted with fizzy water, wine or fruit juice. Nothing else smells like summer to me, then when the house is full of elder flowers (right now I have cordials brewing and flowers drying as well)!

So far, so good - bring on summer!

April

No comments:

Post a Comment