April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Thursday 18 April 2013

Feed the Animals....Feeding Our Pets is Not Science, It's Common Sense


If you are still buying commercial animal food for your beloved pets, please stop.

How’s that for an opening statement? But, it truly is how I feel and is based on some very interesting personal history I might add. I do not feed any of my pets anything from a factory (even when I ate it myself) and prefer to make their food at home.

Years ago, back when I worked as a Food Hygiene Inspector I saw exactly what was sent to the rendering plant for dog and cat food in particular. I was also quite aware of all the short cuts the rest of the condemned material might take to cross paths with it too.

That’s not saying all pet food is condemned food, however, what bothers me far more is the fact that we have come to believe our pets need to eat food that is made on an assembly line.

Even when we ourselves are, or should be, more aware, concerned, taking steps (hopefully) to remove this type of rubbish from our own food chain. Right now you might be thinking – so what, we don’t eat the pets?

No, but we do pay their bills! And we do care for them, so why not take steps to make their food a little better quality as well as our own and keep them healthy longer. It’s so easy to feed a dog or a cat.

I always think in terms of protein. A cat has a short digestive tract – food goes through fairly quickly – they can often eat more protein and particularly thrive on fish. But, when their favourite fish is mixed with cooked vegetables, rice, beans and so forth – they love it.

Dogs will eat what you give them (or at least mine will) so I make extra when cooking our own meals to feed to them. I just pay attention throughout the week to their needs as well.

For instance, everyone gets an egg or two a week (the cat loves eggs!). Alternate fish, beans, meat etc. as a protein source, balance it out with vegetables (both raw and cooked) and some grains. I also throw in seaweeds, oils and any other goodies they might need.

You must also look at their activity levels, age and development stages – for instance a young puppy (we have a 6 month old) has different energy requirements then an older less/more active dog (we also have a hyper Whippet).

Feeding a pet early in the day is also wise as they seem to be more settled at night when you do (and so do we). However, getting the right amount of food is important too. Perhaps two smaller meals are better then one larger dinner for some pets.

What I like about making my own pet food is that I get to stay in touch with my animals, monitor them, see what their needs are and not just throw food at them and not think about it.

I am actively involved in their health and well-being, through their diet as well as their care. Personally, I think it makes for far healthier animals, better interaction and happier, better adjusted households when we are all connected by something as fundamental as our food.

Feeding our pets is not science – it’s common sense.

April

Healthy pup! 

No comments:

Post a Comment