April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Monday 8 April 2013

Spiral of Life - Energy Transformation from Field to Fork


This being the start of a 10 day fast it’s a perfect time to reflect back on some of our activities and observations about our lives as far as our food is concerned. I can always measure our journey by what we are eating, growing or cooking.

Today we are working on some honey from one of our hives… I love the smell in the house when honey is being processed. Of course our form of working with honey is very simple – for the most part, we don’t do much of anything!

What we like is honey on the comb or cut comb honey. This is the honey you can gently squeeze out of the comb or eat the entire thing really. There is a little bit of wax and lots of honey – all of it with health and healing properties.

Mostly we don’t take much honey from our bees – just enough to use for medicinal purposes and a little in my baking. It certainly would not be something I would spread on my toast (other then the first day with new honey) it is too precious for that.

This past week I also cooked a leg of lamb – it was one that needed to be used up, something that was bought from a shop awhile ago. What I wanted to mention about it is that it was bland – the day before we had enjoyed some of our own meat raised here and it did not compare.

First of all, it wasn’t organic, it was also likely raised and then not handled as gently as we would our own animals. But, I do think what they are fed likely makes a bigger difference then we all realize.

Fortunately here in Ireland, most lamb and grazing animals are on the land and eating grass. However, those intended for market are often finished on grains which are mostly genetically modified these days (corn and soy are GM in the regular feeds).

This gave me something to think about – and I was not overly impressed with the meat itself. I was thinking mostly in terms of the flavour – perhaps we are so accustomed to stronger flavoured fowl and game meats now. Or maybe I just need to get a lamb of my own and raise it to see if it tastes better or different to me.

Some other things I have noticed with my cooking and baking is how much of our meals are now our own. At Easter we sat down to a meal with the following items made or grown by us - turkey, pickled gherkins, pickled beetroot, cranberry apple sauce, sage stuffing, green salad, hot fruit juice.

Everything, except for items like rice and some of the vegetables (which we are not able to grow yet) were from our own hands. It was nice to look around the table and see how far we’ve come with our food.

Even if you have to buy in some of the raw ingredients – you are still making something terrific for yourself and your family when you raise, grow and cook your own food.

I can see how my focus shifted sometime ago from removing any processed foods (they have been long gone) to seeing how much we are able to grow on our own. Then tasting the difference in the herbs, meat, eggs, milk, cheese, vegetables from our own hands – has become a pleasure.

It is such a wonderful feeling to put energy out into the raw ingredients and then to have it all come back full circle – transformed into healthy, nutritious meals for your family.

The spiral of life is dynamic and alive….

April 

Honey comb waiting to be pressed

No comments:

Post a Comment