April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Monday 18 March 2013

Artisan Foods - Making Your Own


Well, doing lots of cooking here for sure – but not much that is really new or different….however I have had a hankering for some very different kinds of foods over these past few weeks and that is what I have been working on.

One of these is some salted meat or perhaps cured meat is the best term to be used here. Years ago this was a regular staple in my diet (probably not a healthy one) but it is something I would like to know how to make at home.

I am just jumping ahead here to when we have more of our own meats available and need to keep them in some way - of course smoking, salting and what not are very traditional methods of preserving foods and I am all for that. 

So this week I am trying my hand at making a couple of different things – one of them is to cure a piece of venison and the other is to salt some fresh cod fish. Actually I grew up salting cod fish on ‘flakes’ outside in the sunshine during the summer months….

And am well used to salted fish. This time around I will just brine it over night or for a little longer and cook it in a traditional way with some drawn butter, onions and garlic. These days I am not certain we would get a full week of uninterrupted sunshine to dry any fish...and it would take a lot of fish (I'd better get fishing! LOL).

I can’t wait to get back to normal food days and then of course our Easter Feast is fast approaching. It’s hard to believe March is flying by and spring is here (well, some days at least!).

But, first….I am planning on branching out into making some different kinds of bread. I for one really enjoy any kind of breads and have spent many years not eating it only to come back full circle as my gut healed from dysfunction to finally be able to make (and eat) my own baking.

Lots to look forward to as this cleanse winds down later this week – and I for one, can’t wait. 

April

Me doing what I love to do - kitchen duty!

No comments:

Post a Comment