April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Roast Pheasant, Gravy & Haricot Beans

This dish doesn't look like much in the photo - but my children loved it! And it smelled so good...

At a loss for what to make one day (not really, but it sounds nice) I decided to try something a little different - we all like beans, we love sautéd vegetables and I actually had a roasted pheasant on hand. Something else I had - was a lovely gravy made from the meat.

I soaked and cooked the haricots, they are such a versatile bean and we don't eat enough of them. Perhaps because they are mostly associated with baked beans and that's all. However, they lend an earthy, full bodied flavour to any dish as well as make it that much more hearty.

Next I sautéd a few vegetables - onion, garlic, leek, grated carrot, broccoli etc. and added these to the beans. The gravy and meat were warmed up - all of this was added together to make a little stew. It was thickened because of the gravy...

Steaming hot - I just seasoned it with a little salt and pepper (there were lots of seasonings already in the roasted pheasant) and served it with some thick crusty herbed spelt bread. The children loved it - what I liked about it is that it was fully balanced - so simple yet tasty and filling.

I am planning on making this again - perhaps with a different meat, a different type of bean (maybe chickpeas) and sweet potato or something similar. This is endlessly versatile - and when spiced up, it's also warming and seasonal.

April

Beans are so versatile!

No comments:

Post a Comment