April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Sunday 24 February 2013

A Meatless Sunday Meal....

Not so long ago I was vegan - and had been for nearly 6 years, before that I was vegetarian off and on for a few years (quite a few!). One of the regular foods we ate during those years was some sort of nut loaf.

I say some sort because I would make them with nearly anything that I had on hand - of course your basic ingredients might be ground nuts, however, after that anything goes. These last few days I have been rethinking my nut loaf recipe and decided to make one for the children.

Today I had some soaked mung beans on hand, extra walnuts, some olives, lots of spices and a fresh goose egg. The mung beans had been mixed and ground (after sprouting for 2 days) with fresh herbs from the garden, garlic, onion and leeks.

I then ground the walnuts and just started adding what I could find. One of the nicest things about a loaf of any type is that it will all bake up together with some of the flavours blending throughout the entire dish.

Mung beans tend to stay together quite well when sprouted and blended - earlier in the day I had made a few bean burgers with them, which is one of our favourite foods. But, I do like to create something different from time to time, even when using the same vegetable ingredients.

Perhaps it has a little to do with retaining the spiritual connection with our foods while aligning ourselves to nature's forces - that to me, now means to make the majority of our plates from the vegetable and herb kingdom, but to also be in touch with the meats you are eating as well.

Meat per se is not a negative - what tends to be dark about it, is when it is laced with unknown medications, fed GM ingredients, stressed out and full of toxins. Of course now there is the very real situation of not getting the meat you are paying for....

Vegetables and animals you grow, prepare and cook yourself are a fairly safe bet!! LOL

April

Bean & Nut Loaf with olives and garlic....

No comments:

Post a Comment