April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Monday 25 February 2013

Creative Cooking 101 - Fish Dish

Yesterday was a cooking day - I just wanted to make things - perhaps I had something on my mind or whatever - either way I ended up cooking several dishes for the children to try and then put the rest in the freezer for when my detox is over.

One of the foods I had on hand was some fish - we have eaten a lot of fish over these last 2 years since we went back on meat sources of protein - and sometimes we get a little tired of it. So with that in mind I did some thinking about the hake I had and what to do with it.

Fish is so simple and easy to work with - it's also very versatile. I like that I can add a lot of other flavours to it as well - such as herbs, citrus, onion and a few more. But I also like it when the dish tastes fresh and is full of interesting tastes...

I finally decided to stew the hake in lemon juice, sautéd onions, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and water (with a little pepper, salt and dried dill from my garden). This all went well and was very savoury smelling - it looked great.

When it was fairly well cooked I poured off a half cup of the fishy liquid and put it aside. Then I let the fish sit for a few minutes in the juices. In another pot I melted some butter added 1 tablespoon of spelt flour and made a little sauce - I poured the fish juice into this.

Once it was heated up again, it thickened and this was spooned over the fish in the other saucepan with more pepper and a little sea salt. My children loved it - however, I have yet to taste it, so the verdict is still out.

It does smell very nice however....

April

Hake cooking in the sauce pan...

No comments:

Post a Comment