April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Monday 10 December 2012

Alternative Energy and Wood Stove Baking

I love finding new ways to cook and enjoy food (it's funny how I seem to discover them while I am fasting!) however, even on day 7 of my detox, I am delighted with myself for having successfully 'baked' scones on top of the wood stove.

Years ago I would have done this as a matter of course (and probably complained about having to eat/live/cook this way) during my long childhood summers spent camping on some family land in Northern Newfoundland. 

It came naturally to me then that if we wanted to eat, we had to improvise with nearly everything. And for some reason, it always worked out just fine and perhaps tasted far better then conventional cooking. Over the weekend, because we were off grid and running on a generator, I decided to give a few things a try...

Throughout the day I made porridge for the children, steamed my Christmas pudding for 8 hours or so, prepared ingredients (melted butter, warmed treacle, cooked shrimp for the turtle) and then to top it all off, successfully made lovely scones which got a thumbs up from my daughter.

The rest are right now in the freezer waiting for me to finish this detox so I can sample them and see what (if any) difference there is to the usual scones. The funny thing is I have a feeling they actually might taste a little better - took longer to cook, were darker on the outside and I had to turn them - but all else was great. 

Today, I am making another pudding for the holidays and will use only the 'off grid' method for this one as well. One thing that is really nice about all of this is how much I am learning about finding, remembering and realizing there are other ways to do things and some of them are even better!

April

Oak tree grown from seed....

No comments:

Post a Comment