April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Wednesday 26 December 2012

Happy Turkey - The Land of Plenty....

I love turkey! Well, at least these last couple of days I do anyway. It's not something I can say I have eaten in the past decade or so, making this year quite extraordinary actually. Not only have I eaten turkey, but the ones I did eat, were raised and then (ahem) prepared by me.

In my other life I used to be a Food Hygiene Inspector, what that means for those of you who are unfamiliar with the processes of meat before it arrives on your plate - is that I was the person who carried out an ante and post mortem inspection on animals meant for food.

To say the very least, I have seen nearly all animals walk into a plant and come out the other side in boxes. As you might imagine, I am fairly particular about the meat I would eat and feed my family and was for many years a strict vegan.

What prompted me to raise my own turkeys this year you might ask - up to now I have been thinking I did not know. But, I really do, somewhere deep inside - it's only now that I have taken the time to sort out how I am feeling about it all.

A turkey for me (and us) is more then representative of being thankful - it also says something far more in our hearts. These turkeys are about abundance, plenty and the arrival on new shores - on our walk of life. 

This year we have spent so much time feeling thankful for our health, all we have and especially the food that takes us there. It has been quite a year this last full cycle of the Mayan calendar - one age has ended and another one is being ushered in. 

Something dark, heavy and old has ceased to exist for us, leaving the door wide open for change. And the turkey is only the start of it - a move into the land of plenty!

Happy Christmas,

April

A beautiful turkey cooked with sage from the garden...

No comments:

Post a Comment