April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Sunday 12 August 2012

Homemade Pizza - Tomato Free Sauce

Just because we don't eat Night Shades (tomatoes, potatoes, aubergine, pepper, chillies, gogi berries) doesn't meant that we go without anything such as pizza or pasta. Yesterday, being a Saturday and shopping day as well as having come off of another 3 days of cleansing, the kids wanted a pizza, so here is what I made...

First I had to make a sauce, commercially there is a product out there called Nomato which is a tomato free sauce (too sweet for me, but not a bad effort) however, it is still made in a factory and that is off the radar for us. Of course I have been making my own sauces for quite some time as they are so easy to make so why buy it! 

Chopped veg and herbs ready to go for pizza sauce 
To get a red sauce you simply use carrots, sweet potatoes and beetroot plus any other of the usual vegetables to make it tasty - pumpkin, onion, garlic and lots of herbs. Yesterday I used fresh oregano, chives and basil from the garden. Cooked all of this into a sauce and then pureed it to make it smooth and used a tiny bit of corn starch to thicken.

Pizza sauce cooking away - tomato free of course (tomatoes are spiritual poison)
In the meantime I made a pizza base from spelt flour, soda and yogurt, this is similar to my Naan bread which is the recipe I use to make flat breads. For a pizza I just used more herbs in the recipe and then spread the dough out over the bottom of a round pizza pan.

Spreading out the dough for the pizza base
The base is cooked separately - I always think this makes the pizza taste better as the base does not get soggy with all the ingredients on it. For toppings we used ground lamb cooked with onions and garlic, sheeps cheese, goat's feta and fresh olives from the market. 

Cooked spelt and goat's yogurt pizza base 
The end result was divine and there was not a scrap left! This is such a treat for us because I only make it about once a month or so and the taste is exceptional with all of the cheeses, herbs and freshly made sauce. 

Nothing beats fresh food lovingly prepared at home...

Have a great weekend,

April


Finished pizza out of the oven - Yumm!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment