April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Monday 6 August 2012

Mango Chutney

Yesterday I made my first mango chutney and it was a curious thing...because, I have never eaten mango chutney and it would probably be the last thing that I would go for on a table. So, I have no idea why I wanted to make it. Except that now I know that I can make anything and I wanted to give it a try.

We now have 3 jars of mango chutney that is supposed to sit for at least a month to allow the flavours to blend - after which it will supposedly taste even better. I am not certain that it tastes great at the moment, because I have absolutely nothing to compare it to, like I said, I have never tasted mango chutney before.

To make this type of preserve I did a fair amount of research - mostly to see if I could use dried mangoes instead of fresh ones (which are hard to get here in Ireland). I then soaked the dried mango for about 12 hours or so while I thought about the ingredients that should go into this chutney.

Dried mango soaking in water
I found lots of idea and recipes online - but in the end decided how it should taste. I did things a little bit differently and of course used the ingredients that I had on hand. I think it turned out ok, in about a month perhaps I will open a jar and try it. But, as of right now I am not entirely certain that I even like the stuff! LOL

This is an interesting place to be because I can't say that the smell was lovely or that the flavour was great - it was interesting, vinegary, tangy with sweet mixed in. The flavours were all still unblended - and even though the cooking takes far longer then a jam, it tasted like it still needed work - thus the mellowing process, I guess.

For the chutney I sautéd onions and garlic, then added these to mango, sultanas, chopped apple, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, apple juice, ginger, cumin, salt, pepper and for the first time, I had to add water. The mixture is quite heavy and will stick on the bottom of the pot if you are not stirring constantly. 

Mango Chutney cooking
However, it does look nice and I am sure might even be a taste that will grow on me once I try it properly with a meal. The great thing is that I did it, even when I am not certain that I will like it (hubby loves this stuff) and I feel as if my thinking around food is expanding once again. Branching out into new, otherwise unknown areas and using vinegars.

One thing that I kept coming across was mention of vinegar proof lids - to make sure that your lids are coated and therefore able for the vinegar. I actually find this very funny mostly because I remember as a child, pickles and all kinds of foods being preserved in the very old fashioned Mason jars - and I am sure that they were able for vinegar. 

So, what has changed with newer lids and jars that they are not able to withstand the vinegar or is this an entirely different issue we are talking about here with the 'fear' being put into those of us who want to make these types of foods at home? It did seem a little fear based (some of the comments about home canning) because foods have been preserved in some manner, for as long as humans have been here.

And indeed where I grew up (and perhaps when) many food were still being preserved, cod was being salted, caplin dried, jams and jellies preserved in jars, pickles and even meats were all canned for the coming winter. I absolutely loved this time of year and enjoyed seeing the results of the work as the jars lined up and I still do get a great sense of satisfaction from all of this. 

Absolutely anyone can preserve food while being creative at the same time, making foods that are far superior to anything that could possibly come out of a factory. Well, that's my rant for the morning! LOL

Lot's to think about when it comes to food,

April


Mango Chutney in Jars



No comments:

Post a Comment