April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Friday 10 August 2012

Making Crackers...

If you have never made your own crackers, you don't know what you are missing! Anything else that you might buy from a shop is tasteless and bland by comparison. Homemade crackers are a delightful treat and so easy to make.

This is the number one item on my list (well, next to bread) when I ask myself, where has it all gone wrong for us to believe that we should be buying these foods? Something as simple as a cracker actually has flavour, taste, texture and life in it when it is made by hand and not by some machine. 

This morning I wanted to make a few for our lunch and set to work with a plan to make some spelt and oat crackers which are actually fun to make and everyone can get involved. The wonderful thing about nice crackers is that there are so FEW ingredients. 

Today the sun was shining (this is getting to be rare enough) and I did not want to spend too much time in the house baking - so these were made early in the day.

Measuring all the ingredients into the bowl
The type of crackers I made today are perhaps the most complicated ones that I make and even then there are only a few items that you will need. To make these crackers I used spelt flour, oats, butter, oil, milk, soda and then the toppings (poppy seed, thyme, sea salt).

Cracker dough ready to roll out
The element that I wanted to include here is one of fun - that was the word that I was trying to find for these last few weeks while I have been writing this blog and recording my experiences in the kitchen. Added into the taste, flavour,  and texture of these crackers is the fact that we always have fun making them, with the children watching the oven waiting for them to be done and helping out. 

Many hands helping out! 
Of course you will also get all sorts of interesting shapes, thickness, sizes and variation in the toppings which makes these fun to eat. I think they look great on a plate and at our house, they do not last long. The length of time in the oven will also give variation on the crispness, so each batch is likely to be slightly different, but always good.

Homemade crackers as they cool 
There are many kinds of crackers to make, and I also make a type of cracker from time to time with only spelt flour, oil, sea salt and water as these taste very nice with soft goat's cheese. A few weeks ago I was needing graham crackers for my son's birthday cheesecake, I refused to buy them, so, I made them myself. They were lovely also and I plan to make some more soon. 

When it comes to crackers, you have to give this a try - they really do taste much better homemade.

Have a lovely day,

April

No comments:

Post a Comment