April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Thursday 16 August 2012

There's Nothing To Eat

I remember this!!! Yes, those were the days, come in the door from work and immediately be thinking to myself - there is absolutely nothing to eat here. And to be looking around the kitchen (tired, drained, weary) for something to prepare - in a mindless haze from the outside word.

In. A. House. Full. Of. Food. 

Does any of this sound familiar to you? The fridge would be full, the cupboards bursting and still - there was not one thing that was formulating inside of my head to make as a meal for my family. Many times I eventually came up with something (and surprised myself that a meal could be made from few ingredients) other times I ended up getting something else.

It was just too convenient to order a take away or get a ready meal - there is something on every corner and it is a 'treat' after a long stressful day following someone else's dreams. We are put in a position where someone else is in charge of our food, nutrition, tastes, portion sizes and then (through this  virtual reality) became a part of the family.

Of course, many years ago I left all of this behind - however I have my moments every now and then where I remember full well what it was like to 'think' that way. It was a mind set, a frame of mind that I would fall back into as if someone had pushed a button and I could no longer think clearly enough about what to feed myself.

I knew then and I know it even more clearly now, a reset button needed to be pushed where food was concerned and my eyes opened to the fact that we need very little to make a decent meal and there is always potential.

So, let's see - in the cupboard at the end of the week I have onions, carrots, sweet potatoes, a leek, pumpkin - add to that a few lentils and rice and I have a balanced meal. Or, if you only have an onion, rice and a tin of fish - stir-fry the onion, toss with the cooked rice, add in the fish and you have a tasty dish.

Need some other ideas? How about a sandwich (bread, tuna, lettuce, mustard) and a bowl of lentil soup that can be made in minutes...with lentils, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, sweet potato and a carrot? There is also pasta (we like spelt or rice pasta) and a quick stir-fry of onion, sugar snap peas, garlic, grated carrot tossed with pesto - all made from vegetables and herbs growing in the garden.

Or, how about being more organized and prepared where your meals are concerned? Novel idea that it is, when you guess at the end of the day you might be home looking for something to eat, perhaps beans or lentils could be soaked ahead of time. Veggies chopped or a few ingredients left out to remind you of what you had planned to prepare? 

This thinking - 'there is nothing to eat' used to make me feel so frustrated, tired and then disappointed with myself because I would often end up eating the wrong types of foods and too much of them. It was an immature attitude toward feeding myself (food was a reward and I deserved all these 'treats') like giving a baby candy. 

Changing my attitude towards food, diet, eating, nutrition and my entire approach to cooking has been more then a lifestyle change, it has been a coming of age. 

Enjoy your day,

April


Spelt pasta - stir-fry with veggies from the garden and homemade pesto
April

No comments:

Post a Comment