April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Friday 7 September 2012

Dried Herbs (homegrown) are so much better!

You know over these past many years now since I made fundamental changes to my diet and have never looked back, I really thought I had seen, heard, done, or eaten it all. But this summer with my latest twist in removing these few items of processed foods (they were still organic) out of my cupboards, there has been another eye-opener.

I mean, I eat organic and have for years, have been either vegan or vegetarian off and on, for  nearly two decades and only now include a little fish and meat in our diets (once a month or so). I would think my body tissues, my organs and my taste buds to be fairly clean.

Detoxing is what I am known for, in all it's forms - I have been incorporating fasting for quite some time into my normal routine and am very selective on which foods might slow down the digestion in any way. However....

Today once again I was blown away by the fragrance, taste and look of my home grown dried herbs from the garden. Usually I would buy a few herbs for my own use and they would mostly be organic. Good so far, right?

Dried herbs - slowly filling the jars with sage, dill and thyme
But why do they not 'smell' as fragrant as homegrown herbs, or look as green or flavour my food in the same way? These past few weeks I have been steadily throwing old shop bought herbs onto the fire and replacing them as they are ready from my garden.

This year I am determined to dry enough to last me until they come up again in the spring - and I have a wider range of plants to choose from as well as many more of them. In the exact same way that homemade jam or pickles do not compare to anything that comes from a shop, these herbs are amazing.

A paper bag full of dried sage 
I wish you were here because it is hard to explain - I open the jar in the kitchen and you can smell the herb everywhere. Each one of them are bursting with an intensity of aroma. Today I left an open jar of dill herb on the counter and walked into another room - the fragrance slowly made its way around as if floating on the air.

Magic. Perhaps it's all the rain (must be good for something LOL)!!

Have a lovely herby day,

April 


Kiwi apple fruit leather - it was yummy! All gone now....

No comments:

Post a Comment