April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Saturday 8 September 2012

Nut Butter Cookies

I came home late tonight from a day out and of course, everyone was feeling a little peckish after our long day. No one was really overly hungry (we had taken food with us for our picnic) but you know how it often is....

You would like something to nibble on, without being a disaster or going off the rails. Of course, in my house now, there is no room for a disaster, because absolutely everything must be made from scratch or we have nothing. Once I was in the house and getting everyone settled - my mind was already turning over the possibilities of what I could make quickly enough...

I wanted to have a light snack, tasty, nice with a dandelion coffee yet filling and still a treat of some kind. My thoughts were going to some kind of cookie - and I knew just the right one to make.

Going back to my basics of baking guidelines, this time I used 2 cups of oats instead of flour, some baking soda, a little salt, and it took off from there - I put all of those things into a deep bowl and looked around the kitchen for something quick to add in.

Nut butter cookie dough
Next went in a 1/2 cup of flour, then some cinnamon, 2 mashed bananas instead of an egg (for texture) and 1 cup of nut butter. I combined half tahini and half cashew nut butter because those were both on hand and needed to be used up. 

After I started mixing this up I added more liquid as needed, in total about 6 tablespoons of milk, and 4 tablespoons of maple syrup. This mixture was stirred around just enough to make sure the flour had been well blended in and then dropped onto a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.

Nut butter cookies ready for the oven
They were in the oven for less then 20 minutes - and before anyone knew it, we had a batch of nut butter cookies to go with a hot cup of coffee. This is a tasty and fairly healthy snack too, it can be made sweeter if wanted or you can omit the maple syrup all together and just add more milk or water to get the cookie dough consistency.

All in all, to make these cookies it took less than 30 minutes, they are so easy and straight forward to make. The best part about this type of recipe is it's versatility - whatever nut butter you have on hand or want to make, can be used in the cookies. 

Right now, I am working my way through a couple of them, so good!

Have a lovely day,

April


Nut butter cookies - just out of the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment