April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Saturday 22 September 2012

Meals on Wheels!

Today was not a big cooking day, Saturday is usually a running around day for us - we get to go see some sights, do the farmers market run and pick up things we need. I also try to schedule the kids extra classes on the weekends to keep things simple and that takes us into the city.

So, in order to leave the house fairly early in the morning I have long been in the habit of cooking a quick meal to take with us. Yes, we are the family in the car or sitting on the bench in a park eating our lentils, rice and stir fry from lovely tiffins...

This morning I was up early to get things prepared so we could get away in plenty of time - but also so I could do a good workout before I left. I don't like to miss a workout and then go and sit in a car for long periods of time, my energy would feel stagnant. 

When you plan for your day, prepare yourself and organize a meal to take with you, there is no hassle, no wondering where to find decent food or worrying about cost and so forth. Your great tasting meal can be with you - and it's easy to bring enough to keep everyone going for the day.

This morning I made a very simple dish which we know travels well - rice, vegetable stir fry and tuna. All of this is mixed together into a pot or large bowl and covered. Then we take some camping bowls and spoons - and there you have it. 

Meals on wheels.

Today, because it was going to be a bit longer of a day out I also packed bread (already buttered), some slices of smoked goat's cheese, slices of banana cake, apples and water. We had a little picnic when we got hungry while everything was finger food friendly enough to eat along the way.

This is not rocket science - I can't for the life of me think about spending 40 or 50 quid in a restaurant for food that will sit in my stomach undigested for hours and wake me up at 4 am with heart burn. Food that wasn't loved or prepared with gentleness.

This takes work you might say, or planning, or organization or extra time. Yes, it does. However, all it takes for me is to remember what it felt like to ponder my life when I was sick (with cancer) and think about how I would treat myself if only I could live long enough to do it right. 

Don't wait until you are sick or unwell to make some changes - your life is worth so much more.

Have  a healthy day,

April


Red sky tonight over Leap

No comments:

Post a Comment