April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Sunday 30 September 2012

Return to Living

Today we went to a goat farm to learn about the care and milking of goats as well as spending some time making soft goat's cheese. It was fun and something I had wanted to do for a very long time. So, yes now I am hoping some day soon to move into the venture of producing our own milk!

I am laughing as I write this for a few reasons, one is because this has long been a dream of mine. I remember doing a course back in 1996 on sheep and goat farming - wishing then I could just stay home on the farm and raise little lambs amidst field of herbs. LOL

Another reason I am delighted to be doing this is because I can't wait to have our own milk, fresh from a goat (we don't need much) for my baking, cooking and perhaps making a little bit of cheese for us to enjoy.

To me, at this point with each of the changes we have undertaken in our lives to live sustainably, grow our own food, make everything home made as well as use organic foods and wild harvested herbs - milking our own goat would be the ultimate adventure along this path.

And I am not even certain why. We have had bees for several years now, we have ducks, geese and turkeys and we do our own thing when it comes to food. Perhaps getting a goat drives home the reality of living this way or else it means we have finally arrived in the land of milk and honey! 

Looking after goats with all you have to do seemed to be a little intimidating to me at first this morning, but by the time I came home after the whole day talking goat, milk and cheese - I was feeling a little better about it.

Right now, I am not so much concerned about this next venture as I am wondering where does it end? LOL Perhaps to become completely sustainable - self supporting in every way, finally living the life of your dreams. 

Maybe a little goat's cheese will go a long way....

Have a healthy day,

April


No comments:

Post a Comment