April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Monday 1 October 2012

How Much Further Can I Go?

Over this past week I have been asking myself what more can I do - how much further can I go with our diets to continue to improve things? And I think I have some more ideas coming up to the surface...

Of course, the next venture for us is to get a goat and have our own milk - this is my current project as I learn about how to care for these animals as well as how to make some simple cheeses at home. But, what then? 

The only other real purchase of foods for us now (we buy nothing prepared) would be our vegetables and fruit. For the most part, it would be quite difficult to grow many of these items here in Ireland. And even if they could grow it would be a full time job for a couple of people. 

Or is this what I have come to believe? Might there be a way to grow more of our own food, could I find a way to do this at least on a larger scale then we have at the moment. Hmmm....

When I ask myself how much further I can take this food thing, I start by mulling over my dreams, hopes, goals and wishes for our lives. Or in other words, what else have I been dreaming about when it comes to food?

For me that answer is simple, I want to be self sufficient and produce as much of my own food as possible. And of course that means more, bigger, larger garden and growing more of our own food. 

Part of me is thinking along the lines of increasing my time in the garden by one hour each day. If I were to start an experiment, where might that one extra hour or about 6-7 hours per week, bring me? Could we then have lots more to show for it or just a little bit?

Perhaps it is time to start this and see where it takes me... back to the garden it is!

I will keep you posted,

April



No comments:

Post a Comment