April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Going Sugar Free... A Lifestyle Choice?

I have been sugar free completely and utterly for a while, pretty close to 9 years right now with no intention of ever going back to eating that nasty stuff. A lot of the time in my baking and cooking, I just take it for granted that I will substitute into the recipe something other than granulated sugar.

However, I do watch the adverts and read labels as well as keep up with some of the words being thrown around when it comes to foods that claim to be sugar free. But I will back up here for a minute, because I want to mention why I became sugar free in the first place.

Actually I am a few things free for nearly 9 years -- about that time all those years ago I was battling cancer and had no choice but to take full responsibility for my health or else (I took no medication or treatment and healed myself - that's another story!). Of course, my choice was and is clear - I want to be here, I want to raise my family and I will eat what my body needs to remain in good health. 

Nothing more, nothing less.

What I do know about sugar and it's cousins, is that it promotes cancer or any fungal condition within the body such as diabetes and hormone imbalance. Sugar is not a food, it is not needed for any function of the body - contrary to some opinions out there! (Glucose is a 'sugar' and is the fuel used by cells to function - this is something different entirely)

I remember those days, before my enlightenment around food and eating- feeling absolutely addicted to sugar. Since that time I have come across references used in association with sugar as 'slavery'. The connection being made back to the days of plantations and the use of slaves to work them.

Of course, everything about that level of business and trade was criminal - but it managed to get people the world over addicted to this new drug - more sweet then anything else available at the time - white, powdered and pure poison. 

There might be several ways sugar works - perhaps by suppressing something in the brain, and by feeding colonies of mold, yeast and nasty bacteria in the gut. It is an anti-nutirent meaning it will cost you something to digest it, not the best thing to be using in wholesome meals. 

In my cooking and baking I use honey, maple syrup and apple sauce (amongst others) to sweeten something. I do not go for sugar 'substitutes' such as the powdered granulated stuff in plastic bags - you might have seen it around. To me that would be like coming off of one drug and replacing it with another. 

Yet, I do like something sweet. However since I have given up sugar, my tastes have changed and I will find fruit, especially dates or figs are very sweet. I can enjoy them with a cup of dandelion coffee or in a dish and be totally satisfied. 

When a recipe calls for sugar - choose something that will work just as well perhaps it might be fruit or honey, you only need a small amount. Then adjust the dry ingredients accordingly, most likely add a little more flour. 

The resulting taste and texture is better then with the sugar! Think about it - not so very long ago, all these old recipes called for honey, fruit and natural sweeteners. There was no sugar around - perhaps it is time we got back to what is real.

Pull the sugar out of your diet, stop feeding nasties in your gut. Your body systems will run much better, your skin will be clearer and you will find you have more energy. 

April 


Our own honey being drained out through cheese cloth into a jar

No comments:

Post a Comment