April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Monday 29 October 2012

I Deserve Better Food

Well today was just a catching up day for me - I did not really cook anything much because I spent part of my day walking around Fota Wildlife Park with the children. It was a lovely day and the place was really pleasant and busy.

However, being ever vigilant and by now used to reading all the adverts I was quite surprised by the pushiness of it all... I mean outside the toilets there were strategically placed ads for ice cream. Just in case you missed them on the way past the little shop or the restaurant. 

Oh well. It all seems to be a bit too much in your face at times - these fast food, junk and sweet makers are a lot like drug pushers. I remember walking in big cities such as Toronto or Rome many years ago and passing someone who would mention under their breath the name of some drug they were selling...

An advert placed outside a toilet is a bit like that memory for me. The sign sort of yells 'Hey buddy, want to eat some sugary high fat chemically processed junk before your dinner?' And of course it is aimed at the little ones.

So, back to my day - I thought it was time I had a re-evaluation day because I think I have reached yet another milestone here. Without even realizing it I am no longer even carefully considering what to make, how to make it or dragging my feet in any way - I am just jumping in and making something on the run so to speak.

Yesterday we wanted to go to the cinema (this is still a big deal here as we only go about 3 or 4 times in a year) and needed something to bring in the car for a treat. With only an hour to get everyone ready and out the door - I dropped everything and whipped up a batch of flapjacks.

Then today, I did it again - someone said treat and I jumped into action and within a few minutes I had a pan of cashew cookie bars chilling in the fridge. It is that easy! And I was very pleased to find I had crossed over yet another form of reluctance.

You must know what I am talking about, the sense that you want to make something, but have a hard time either getting started or you end up giving in to the thinking it is too much trouble. Then time will go by and the task never gets done. 

It must be a form of procrastination tinged with self sabotage. 

When I came home this afternoon we wanted bean burgers and onion rings - both of which are easily enough made. The catch was, these taste loads better with mayonnaise - so I did it once again. In no time flat I had a bowl of fresh mayo on the table - and it was the nicest one I have made so far.

If I was to bring these two experiences together at the end of the day I would say to the junk food pushers - I am way ahead of you, I can do far better. And you know what? I deserve better too.

April


Black Swan at Fota in Cobh Cork 

No comments:

Post a Comment