April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Sunday 21 October 2012

Pineapple Walnut Cake

Today has been rather productive for a Sunday and a fasting day! We got a few things done in the herb garden and I also had time to get in some cooking and baking. Of course this is my favourite thing to do  - so I always have time for it.

As a result of today's exploits I made a pot of cream of broccoli soup and a pineapple walnut cake. That was aside from all the work with the herbs....

Of course the cake was the most interesting part - it all started with a tin of pineapple (organic of course) that was left over in the cupboard. I don't have many tins of things here, so this one just sort of stood out all alone.

Today I pulled it out and decided something had to be done with this lonely pineapple and it whispered 'cake'. Actually this is a really easy cake to make and it sort of just fell together in a matter of minutes. 

I always start out with the basic 3 cups of flour, bread soda, salt - to this I added cinnamon, coconut and chopped walnuts. It all looked good so far and I could actually taste the final result. I guess this time I was baking for a certain taste if that makes sense!

Then, for the wet ingredients I put in some agave syrup and apple sauce as a sweetener, 3 duck eggs and oil. It was all quickly mixed together until there was no more flour visible and now I had a lovely cake batter.

For an added twist I decided to bake it in one of my clay pots. After soaking the clay pot in water for about 15 minutes it was ready to be buttered and floured on the inside. I coated it well and then spooned the cake batter inside. 

I was a little worried that I might have just wasted my time (and my tin of pineapple!) because I had no idea how the clay pot would do with the cake - 55 minutes later it came out of the oven and smelled and looks delicious. 

My taste tester, who is 5 approved, but the only description I was able to get was that it tasted like 'cake'. She is right now eating a piece of the cake after I poured some honey over top as a topping.



Can't wait until the weekend when I can eat again! 

April

Pineapple walnut cake 

No comments:

Post a Comment