April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Monday 22 October 2012

Broccoli & Goat's Cheese Soup

Yesterday was an interesting day, I wanted to clear out any food left hanging around that was still useful - a general cleanup before I get back to eating again at the end of the week. With only one person (and 2 dogs, cat, turtle) eating in the house at the moment, I don't want things to go off.

With this in mind, I am cooking with the foods most likely to not last too long, early in the week while the other hardier vegetables will keep. And anything that needs to be used up - well, I have had to be creative and find ways to get them into meals.

I had a piece of very nice goat's cheese that I thought would make a lovely pot of soup - along with a large piece of broccoli. The soup started with these two ingredients - and took off from there! LOL

Making soup is something I enjoy doing, I start with sautéing leeks, onions, garlic and then place a few lentils and seaweed in the soup pot. I get all of this cooking and just add to it from there. With this particular soup, I wanted it to be mainly broccoli, but even this needs help.

To the pot I put in some sweet potato, pumpkin, a carrot and lots of fresh herbs from the garden for extra flavour. There was a very large amount of broccoli, so I wasn't overly concerned with losing the focus of the dish.

Once it was all cooked and pureed I added 1 cup of goat's milk and then some of the goat's cheese (grated up) as the soup cooled down for about an hour or so. When I gave it a stir it was nice and creamy and had thickened up.

Broccoli & Goat's Cheese Soup
And, the one thing I love about mixing some of these flavours, it didn't have an overly heavy smell from the broccoli, the milk and cheese had softened it quite a bit. I was pleased with it and will make it again at the weekend, so the rest of us can try it too - perhaps this time with a stronger cheese.

April 

No comments:

Post a Comment