April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Wednesday 31 October 2012

Getting off the Food Grid...

Today has been a feast day - and I haven't stopped since early this morning. I have been cooking our Samhain dinner all day - thankfully I had most of the treats done in the past few days as well as our desserts for today.

Right now everyone is very full and feeling really good. In case you are wondering - our menu for tonight's feast was marinated roasted venison, thyme roasted root vegetables, including our own fresh baby carrots and corn, Waldorf salad with homemade mayonnaise, stuffed onions with rice, leeks and feta cheese - sweet bread made with cranberries and walnuts and gravy.

It was fabulous, one of the best meals I have ever had and even the venison turned out tender and nice. I have not cooked game meat in several years, so I was fairly careful with this piece I wanted it to be just right. 

I marinated it for over 24 hours in homemade mustard with salt, pepper and extra olive oil to ensure it would not be tough or gamey tasting. I think the trick for this kind of meat is the marinade but also to keep turning it over as it sits in plenty of juice. The olive oil helped as well.

A lovely meal all round at the end of the day! 

Now that this day is coming to a close it will be interesting to see what this next month or so brings in terms of change, learning and my continual discovery about food. I am constantly surprised and amazed  at how much further we can go as a family to live more sustainably as well as to get off of the grid more and more.

For us, getting off of the food grid is our priority - I don't want to eat anything prepared by someone else. And it appears we have achieved exactly that and are now completely comfortable with that. Now, my mind has been wandering to how else we can remove ourselves from other energetic signatures around our food....

Time will tell

April 

Colourful veggies ready for the oven

No comments:

Post a Comment