April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Thursday 1 November 2012

Food Memories and Associations...

Today and yesterday have been full of food memories for me - I ate some venison and really enjoyed it by the way - but that wasn't the entire story. I think the meat triggered some long buried food associations and tastes I never knew where there.

The venison was perfect, I was very careful with it - taking the time to marinade, turn and then roast it in one of my clay pots (soaked for a while in water) on a low temperature over most of a full day. Only in the last hour or so was the heat up a little.

The meal in general is what triggered some long forgotten feelings in me and I am still trying to sort through them. First of all, what we ate was wild game meat and lots of fresh veggies from our own garden. It was fresher then fresh, processed food free, entirely homemade and very tasty.

However, the only words that come to mind right now as I am struggling to describe what I feel is - alive. My meal was alive. The game meat also had substance to it - as if the animal itself had a very different vibration from something like a lamb....

Is it because the deer was free to roam and live as he pleased? Where as a lamb is not. Might there also be some other factors involved here? Do animals have a spiritual dimension and perhaps a spiritual function within their bodies and then ours when we eat them?

At this point I would venture to say yes - because that is exactly what I am sensing has changed inside of me. Some earth energy has arrived together with the meal - perhaps from the combination of everything. And it feels good - like a positive charge.

When I mention the food memories - I actually grew up in a house where we all hunted, fished and lived off of the land. I never ate a beef steak until I was nearly 20 years old. We ate what we could catch and there was plenty to be had (rabbit, moose, sea ducks, partridge, all kinds of fish). 

I took it all for granted and of course I didn't remember fully the differences between this type of eating and the food you can get at the supermarket. Until now.

April 


Roasted venison out of the oven

No comments:

Post a Comment