April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Sunday 18 November 2012

Banana & Date Mini Loaves

Last night I was eager to bake or make something - there are not many of us eating in the house right now - and it is way too early to be baking things for Solstice - so my options are fairly limited. But, nevertheless, I had bananas ready to be used and some ideas....

I love these flavours and smells, especially this time of year - cinnamon, banana, date, nutmeg - all warm and toasty yet gentle on the system. With this in mind I decided to expand my usual muffin making routine a little bit further.

With children, muffins are handy little breads to have around, but so are mini loaves. Right now with only small mouths to feed, I don't need to make large amounts of anything. But also, when we are all back  eating again, mini loaves such as these can be used for little desserts.

Banana and Dates also go together quite well, they are both sweet, sticky and take well to the addition of nutmeg or cinnamon. With this recipe I decided to add a little bit extra to it to fill it out a little more, so I added some coconut as well.

Starting with my usual 3 cups of white/whole spelt flour blend, I added baking soda, baking powder, a little salt, nutmeg, and ground coconut. I love the taste of coconut too and I always think I should be using it far more in recipes, I try to fit it in where possible.

For the wet ingredients I used a duck egg, 1 cup of goat's milk, 1/4 cup date syrup and 3 mashed bananas. Once these were all blended in a medium sized mixing bowl (still chunky with banana bits) I added this mixture to the flour.

In the meantime I had chopped 1/2 cup of dates into smallish pieces - these went in last after the batter was mixed enough. Of course some of them stick together, so be sure to separate as you stir. However, I never like to over stir anything - so don't overdo it.

Using mini loaf pans, spoon the batter into each pan and bake in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes. They will be moist and delicate when done... These can also be made into 12 large muffins or 4 small loaves. 

Lovely! 

Banana & Date Loaf 

No comments:

Post a Comment