April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Sunday 25 November 2012

Root Vegetable Mash

This is such a simple dish - something so mundane and ordinary that many of us probably have forgotten or never even got to realize how delicious and wonderful this type of dish can be. What I am talking about here is root vegetable mash....

I know I have been fasting for 21 days and am now in my final few hours of drinking only herbal teas, water, lemon juice and maple syrup. Yes, perhaps my brain is gearing up now for some solid foods...but this dish is what is on my mind and has been one of my favorites for many years. 

One of the things I like about vegetable mashes is how versatile they are - you can gently cook up nearly any selection of vegetables at any season and create a new dish. You can also add many types  of garnish or herbs to it as well.

At this time of year I really like the taste and flavour of gently roasted carrots with turnip, and am in heaven when they are purple, yellow or white carrots. I would chop them up small enough to cook easily, pour water and olive oil over top then sprinkle loads of thyme, sage and rosemary over them and roast in the oven.

Alternatively they are also very nice steamed on top of the stove, where they cook faster and then mashed simply with butter, salt and pepper. Of course you don't have to use these particular vegetables there are so many to choose from that you might create a different side dish every day of the week.

Yesterday I slow roasted parsnip, beetroot, carrot, pumpkin and shallots for my daughter and the smell was divine. It got me thinking about some of my favourite vegetable dishes - and there are so many to choose from.

You can combine nearly anything as well as cook them in various ways to bring out the best tastes - I like sweet potato mashed with roasted fennel or celeriac. When you add a little butter or cream, some seasonings - the taste is incredible.

But then so are fresh garden peas mashed with roasted caramelized carrots or parsnips - sprinkle with a little mint or oregano. You might also enjoy cooked spinach mashed with roasted garlic and sprinkled with toasted nuts...

Like I said - you can get really creative here and get the absolute most from your vegetables. 

Enjoy!

April

Veggies ready to roast.... slow!

No comments:

Post a Comment