April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Monday 26 November 2012

Cake and the Magic of Life...

So, right now we are in the middle of some sort of a cooking, baking, foodie craze...apparently there are more cooking shows, new cookbooks, recipe sites and blogs then ever before. And that is all great, right? It keeps us focused on eating well and using our food to get healthy....

Oh, I forgot, 99% of these shows, blogs, books and what not have nothing to do with eating well, healthy meals or removing rubbish from your diet. In fact, the latest fad to hit the airwaves is the cake and baking madness with impossible techniques, equipment and ingredients.

No one enjoys nice cake more then me, especially with a great cup of dandelion coffee. But that is just it - I would make it myself, it is sugar free, organic, whole grain, fresh, made from unprocessed everything and actually still registering on the food pyramids.

I was out and about at the weekend and could clearly see the evidence of this baking craze - with heaps of new recipe books, baking pans, measuring cups and each shelf topped off with icing sugar or some other type of poison. 

Not to mention the use of colorings, additives, tins of ready made this or that, chocolate laced, sweet and full of empty calories. So, what is this all about anyway? Yet another way to get you looking at food, thinking about food and perhaps making high calorie meals?

I don't think so. I think it's about making you think - that cake looks perfect, I can't possibly make that so I still want it and I will go out and buy it. Just like everything else out there - it comes in a box and all you have to do is fork it into your mouth.

I just finished reading a study that found people who watched cooking shows ate more calories from sugary sweets during and immediately afterwards. Whereas people who watched a nature show did not. 

Personally, I would recommend you throw out the televisions (yes, bring it to the curb) clear out your cupboards of all the rubbish and start over with the basics. Get back to talking to each other, cooking with realistic ingredients and baking a cake without sugar, caffeine, chocolate or processed anything. 

Then watch the magic that happens (p.s. it's called 'life')....

April

Borage in the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment