April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Friday 9 November 2012

Winter Warmer - Cheese & Olive Spelt Bread

Today I have been keeping myself busy with a few tasks, only to realize that we were almost out of bread. Of course, I was only too pleased to use up some more items in the fridge as more of us will be fasting before the weekend is over.

I have a bowl of olives and some Chèvre goat's cheese that needed to be used before it had to went off- and these are great items to put into a loaf of bread. Because it will be mainly my daughter eating pretty soon, I made mini loaves that can be frozen if need be. 

Right now the house smells warm and comforting - the kind of scent that only bread and melted cheese can give! LOL

To make the bread I wanted to give it some strong flavours to go along with the cheese and olives so I put in a generous helping of thyme, oregano and rosemary. Then I chopped the olives into pieces and grated the cheese.

Once I started to make the bread I put in the usual baking soda, salt, the herbs and then some poppy seeds (I always use some kind of seed but it is usually sunflower or linseed). Next I poured in the whole grain spelt flour and mixed this thoroughly.

Once the dry ingredients were dealt with I kept stirring in olives, cheese and lastly the water. I didn't put too much cheese in with the flour because it sometimes can make this bread break off into chunks. Or separate once cooked.

As well the cheese was well crumbled and mixed in once the dough was formed. I then spooned out the soda bread dough into mini loaf pans and put more grated cheese over top as well as pushed in some olives pieces that were sticking out. They can burn and not have a pleasant taste.

These were put into a hot oven for 35 minutes or so until done. So, now the house smell delicious and there is a lovely bread ready to go with the cream of broccoli soup I am making for their dinners.... 

All in a days work!

April


Mini loaf of Cheese & Olive Bread 

No comments:

Post a Comment