April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Thursday 8 November 2012

Food as Comfort - Nutmeg Stewed Apples & Pears

Today I am only on day 4 of my November Master Cleanse - and I am not certain yet how long I will go with this one - perhaps 15 or more days. It is the detox season just before Solstice and Christmas and the perfect time of year to cleanse.

So, I am working at it here - of course by now, I have slipped into my usual cleanse routine of getting more organized, thinking about recipes and food! This is where my heart is so I can often be found puttering around the kitchen late at night conjuring up things to make. 

Right now with this cleanse I feel as if I am processing through an entire encyclopedia of old patterns and issues - and perhaps most of them have to do with food. I have been wondering if absolutely everything in our human existence revolves around food.

I know there are many who would say we respond to and revolve around sex - however, you can't have a healthy sexual attitude without being fed properly and developing at least to a minimum emotional level. And that requires food. 

Besides eating is sensual and a loving activity people can share and make part of any relationship. The first thing we do in life, besides breathing, is eat and seek out comfort after the ordeal of birth. So our food should provide not only nutrition but also comfort for us. 

With this in mind - the kids have been spending more time outside (cool sunny days) and working hard in the barn with all the animals and chores to be done. So I wanted to make a little treat for them today to warm them up when they came inside.  

I had to use up some organic Irish apples and pears - so I made them a stewed apple/pear dish with big chunks of fruit and a little nutmeg. I love the smell of warm apples in the house and the nutmeg is very warming as well. 

Late last night I had made a cinnamon banana bread with the older bananas - a slice of this in a bowl with the hot stewed apples over top was not turned down by anyone. It smelled and looked delicious!

April


Cinnamon banana bread with stewed apples & pears

No comments:

Post a Comment