April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Monday 24 September 2012

Sweet Potato Samosa's

There are a few recipes I have been wanting to make but have been putting them off mostly because I have never made them before and need to have some space to 'create'. Getting the kitchen to myself doesn't happen very often, so these experiments do tend to be put off indefinitely.

Today however, I decided to throw caution to the wind and to get the kids to join in with me as I figured out a recipe for sweet potato samosa's. Once again this is not a food I would have been very familiar with, as I don't eat out or order take away, but, I was fairly certain they appeared to be easy enough to make.

I am still working on overcoming this level of resistance to some new recipe tastes and flavours - you know how we kind of get set in our ways with all our old standby's. Well, time to branch out!

So, the first thing on the agenda was to decide what I wanted to use as a filling for these samosa's - I wanted sweet potato and soft cooked vegetables. But I also wanted veg to be baked and not boiled, so as not to be too watery. Sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin and shallots were chopped up, wrapped in foil and placed in the oven for an hour.

Roasted vegetables and stir fry mixed with spices
Next, to make this dish a little spicy I used an onion, a leek and garlic - chopped finely which was sautéd in a saucepan with a little oil. To this I added turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper. I didn't want to go overboard with spices because the children would not eat them.

Once the vegetables were done, I added the stir fry onion mixture in with that to make a lovely fragrant vegetable filling.

In the meantime I made a dough from 2 cups of spelt flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon bread soda. I added 6 tablespoons of milk and about the same of cold water until it looked like a slightly sticky dough and formed a ball.

Dough forms a ball 
This was then easy enough to roll out flat enough to make round cut outs. To make my samosa's I used 2 pieces of the dough for each one, placing the filling in the centre and pressing it together with a fork. 

Samosa dough ready for filling 
This was actually a very easy to make recipe, tasty and quite filling. The nicest part of this is the way the filling can be nearly anything - rice with vegetables, spicy mince lamb, feta cheese or any different combinations of these.

They were in the oven for about 23 minutes or so and then we got to have samosa's with our dinner. I used my homemade honey mustard sauce for dipping and it was delicious! 

Well, I hope to make another new dish again tomorrow... keep it new and exciting LOL

April


Samosa! 

No comments:

Post a Comment