April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Friday 14 September 2012

Homemade Herbed Vinegar...

The one thing I enjoy perhaps the most about my days spent fasting is the level of creativity I always feel. Today I was itching to cook and just wanted to relax - of course the only way for me to do this is to spend some time in the kitchen.

I ended up making roasted salted cashews, because these jars were empty. I also have a banana bread made and now in the freezer. Then made a honey oat bread for my daughter... as well as puy lentil soup - her favourite meal.

As I was looking around at all I have on hand, I decided the one thing missing was some herbed vinegar. This might not be something we eat a lot of, however, when you make all your own sauces, stews, soups, dressings and so forth from scratch, they might come in handy.

I had always wanted to try making tarragon garlic vinegar as well as some others. The only vinegar I had on hand suitable for this is an oak aged apple cider vinegar, so I hope it turns out all right. It seemed so simple to make, almost as if it was too easy. But then, I have been finding out most of this homemade food is quite straight forward.

To make the herbed vinegar, I first washed, heated and then poured boiling water over the bottles I wanted to use, as they were too long and large to place in a boiling water bath. 

Bottles heating up, washed
Next I went into the garden to gather my herbs - I decided to make two different vinegars today, one with the tarragon and garlic and the other with rosemary, thyme, sage, and parsley. I cut sprigs of each of these herbs and brought them in, washed and then dried them lightly, bruising them a tiny bit to allow the flavour to come out.

Herbs drying on towel
Using a wooden skewer, I gently pushed each herb into the bottles towards the bottom. Since the pieces of garlic were too big to fit, I peeled and cut them, then pushed the smaller pieces into the bottle. 

Herbs in bottle 
Once that was done, I poured boiled apple cider vinegar into each jar, filling it to about 4 cm from the top. Apparently, they may need a top up because the herbs will absorb some of the liquid. This is then left to sit for about 2 weeks or so and then is ready to use. 

The herbs can be removed and fresh ones put in or any number of things. According to the information I have, this is a fairly versatile process, and now any number of ways can be used to enhance the vinegars.

I also want to try some spiced vinegars - for this I need to get a different type of vinegar solution, perhaps a white or red wine vinegar to start with. Lots of plans here. I will let you know how these turn out. I want to use them for making mayonnaise, mustards, salad dressings and marinades. 

I also love flavoured oils, so will perhaps get to those this week too. 

Well, that's me for Day 5 of my Master Cleanse - looking forward to getting ready for next weeks' Autumn Celebration (Mabon). 

Have a healthy day!

April

Three jars of herb flavoured vinegar 

No comments:

Post a Comment