April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Goat and Root Vegetable Stew....An Adventure in Cooking!

Off on another tangent today --- I am cooking goat meat! I never would have thought about eating goat, actually come to think of it, I must have tasted kid when I lived in Toronto years ago, however, I certainly haven't gone looking for it since then.

Until I had an opportunity to get some, that it and so this is it - I personally won't get to taste it today because I am still on my Master Cleanse, but I will put some in the freezer for when I am done. It smells and looks very interesting so far...

Apparently goat meat tastes a lot like a cross between lamb and beef, but is very lean, and not gamey like lamb can sometimes be. It is also considered a low in fat meat which will not raise cholesterol (not an issue here but..) or give any of the other nasty side effects.

There are so many ways to cook goat meat too - when I did a little bit of research I came across tons of recipes, ideas on how others eat it and was surprised so many people out there ARE eating it. Actually, it is considered the most widely consumed meat in the world.

I think it's only in these western countries where people are stuck on beef and chicken or chicken and beef! 

To cook the goat meat I decided to do another crock pot meal to be on the safe side as I have never cooked this before. But even as I was putting it into the pan to brown, it seemed so much like lamb I probably could have done anything with it.

I browned the floured stew meat in a little olive oil, onion and garlic and then added it to 2 cups of boiling water along with several cups of chopped root vegetables. Today I had a huge celeriac to use up so that is what makes up the bulk of the stew.

Next I placed in generous teaspoons of cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, a little cinnamon, bay leaves, thyme, sea salt and pepper and the juice of a lime. After it had been cooking on high for about an hour I turned it down to a low heat setting - and it has been stewing away now for several hours. 

So far the meat looks tender, the stew smells great and I can't wait to taste some once this cleanse is done...very interesting day altogether! 

April

Looks and smells divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment