April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Monday 14 January 2013

Venison Cassoulet

I might as well refer to this dish as accidental Venison Cassoulet, because I never intended to make a cassoulet when the day started. However, I did have a bowl of beans soaked and ready to cook, some veggies that needed to be used and most of the meat in the house right now is wild game...

So, at the beginning of my day, I wanted to make a favourite around here - baked beans. I started out making a veggie sauce in the slow cooker while I cooked the haricot beans in some seaweed. My bean sauce is night shade free - as these interfere with spirituality and contain toxins.

However, I still make a great tasting sauce using a base of beet root, carrots, sweet potatoes, herbs (and a few others on this particular day that needed to be used up!). Once the sauce was made, and the beans were cooked I combined these into crock pots and slow roasted them in the oven with a little cloves and bay leaves. 

The beans came out smelling and looking great - the kids ate them, the dogs and cat had some - but there was still a crock pot left over! I was cooking a venison roast for another as yet undetermined dish and had the bright idea of just cutting up this nicely done piece of meat (it was slow roasted with shallots, garlic, leeks, onion, broccoli and honey mustard marinade) and adding it to the beans.

Once I put the now several large pieces of meat and vegetables into the pot of beans and sauce - it closely resembled and smelled very much like a wild game cassoulet... which is a very hearty meal for this time of year.

This is a dish I will definitely be making again and can't wait to try it when I finish my cleanse...

April

Crock Pot of Baked beans

No comments:

Post a Comment