April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Saturday 5 January 2013

Wild Rabbit Stew - A change for the better

Today I made Wild Rabbit Stew - it is one of my favourite meals from way back in my childhood and I still feel it is such a wholesome meal. What is more, it is simple to make and rabbit is fairly easy to come by, especially this time of the year.

Wild rabbit is lean and being wild caught, not full of medicated feeds or even weird GMO grains. I can taste and feel the difference whenever I eat something wild caught (or organic) as opposed to the heavily treated type of meat or fish.

And there is a huge difference in flavour, texture and perhaps anything else you might be expecting in meats. I ate a lot of wild rabbit when I was growing up - along with other game such as sea ducks, and moose.

Including wild game into your diet, certainly when it is in season is a healthy idea...there are no unhappy bunnies in the wild. They are free to live as they should and this means an important source of superior food for us.

To cook wild rabbit it is best to marinade it overnight first. I use something simple such as balsamic vinegar, honey mustard, bay leaves, olive oil, salt and pepper - with a little water. I also use a slow cooker to cook the rabbit first before I put the vegetables in to make a stew.

Rabbit is full of tiny little bones and I have small children - so the meat is cooked first, then taken off the bones, lightly floured and added to a ready stew of seasoned (sage, thyme, rosemary, lovage) vegetables.  I check the liquid from the rabbit carefully before I add it to the stew as well.

Once all is assembled, let it cook for another hour or so and then stand in the slow cooker to cool down. This makes a most delicious meal for the whole family which is both nourishing and low in fat. We all enjoy our rabbit stew in the winter months.

April

Wild Rabbit Stew - lots of herbs and veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment