April Danann

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527

www.aprildanann.com

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Roasted Guinea Fowl - A change from chicken

While I don't eat chicken and haven't for many years now, recently I have been interested in guinea fowl. It is similar to chicken and I am told the taste compares somewhere between chicken and pheasant. Which makes for quite an interesting tasting meat...

Last night - with nothing else to do (LOL) I decided to slow roast one in the oven to see how it would do. It doesn't smell exactly like chicken nor does it smell gamey - but it does smell like fowl. And it smells very good!

The way I ended up cooking it is also a little different - there isn't much fat on these birds so I wanted to add a little olive oil, but then it's also nice to have some interesting fresh tastes when slow roasted together bring out the best flavours of the meat.

For roasting I chopped shallots, garlic, an apple and half a leek - these were added to the roasting pan. Then I sprinkled some rubbed sage, thyme, sea salt and pepper all over the vegetables and the fowl - this was then placed into the pan.

Once the bird and veggies were ready to go I drizzled olive oil and then some water over top and placed it in the hot oven for 2 1/2 hours. We could smell it cooking away for the next while and it filled the house with a lovely homey odour.

Once it was fully cooked - I took it out (I basted it several times during the process) and had a look. It is lovely and very fragrant for such a small little game bird. And tender on top of all that...if you would like a change to something nicer - give it a try!

April

Oven roasted guinea fowl in shallots & apple 

No comments:

Post a Comment